Fall: 06/15/2020 - 08/31/2020
Spring: 11/02/2020 - 01/25/2021
Summer: 04/27/2021 - 06/04/2021
Student Health Insurance Plan Waiver Criteria
The University of St. Thomas has established five circumstances in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternative health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet the requirements and be submitted with proof documentation prior to the August 31st, 2020 deadline.
Students must meet one of the five following criteria:
- Student is enrolled in an employer sponsored ACA compliant group health plan.
- Student provides evidence that they are enrolled in ACA compliant individual coverage purchased through the Exchange (HealthCare.gov), or other ACA compliant individual coverage purchased from an insurance carrier based in the United States.
- Student is enrolled in coverage that is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country and is provided through an ACA compliant plan or policy in writing and in English,
- Student is sponsored by the US government or other sponsoring entity that has guaranteed payment of all medical expenses, and repatriation and evacuation expenses.
- Student is enrolled exclusively in distance learning classes at the university.
- Minimum Essential Coverage as required by the ACA with no annual or lifetime limits,
- No exclusions for pre-existing conditions,
- Preventive care and women’s health care as required by the ACA covered at 100%,
- An annual deductible not greater than $500 (excluding employer plans),
- Coinsurance that does not exceed 25% of allowable charges under the plan,
- Policy must include a list of the exclusions,
- Policy coverage must begin on or before 8/8/20 and must include the entire semester.
- Policy must be in English and in US currency/dollars.
- Proof of Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.
- Proof of expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000.
- Travel plans will not be accepted.
Acquire the following scanned documents before clicking below to submit your waiver information:
- An electronic copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card.
- An electronic copy of your complete insurance policy document, including exclusions and limitations and dependent coverage.